Saturday, June 27, 2009

My love-hate relationship with excercise

Over the last couple of years as my job has gotten less physical thanks to new equipment, my waistline has increased. This is not good. I am now the heaviest I have ever been, not to mention several other problems that are not evident but are probably in the danger zone right now (i.e blood pressure, heart health)

I used to exercise quite frequently. During summers I used to bike quite often, almost once a day, I was pretty thin then for me and I felt good about the exercise. I enjoyed biking so much.

After that there was a period of about six months where I was a runner. That was OK but it was hard. Since then I have really done nothing but say I need to exercise.

I had all kinds of excuses, but when your excuse is that you don't feel like putting running shoes on then you know you are in a bad way.

So, yesterday I pulled out my bike after a couple of years and tuned it all up and took it for a spin. I discovered that I have really missed cycling. The freedom of it. The ability to go places you couldn't in a car. The honest sweat that you work up (mind you I don't remember it ever being this difficult when I was a kid, oh well).

Anyway long story short, I am trying to get back into the exercise thing. I am currently not at a place where I enjoy it, as many of you can empathize I am sure, but I am making the effort. I may never love it, but I hope I will continue to do it. I also hope my continuing struggle in this area will encourage others to at least try to get out. In the end I think it will be worth it, even if I hate every minute of it. See ya'.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment